Marriage Licences

Obtaining A Marriage Licence

Marriage licences are made available to Ministers in affiliated communities through application by the affiliated community.

Anyone who receives a marriage licence must be an Endorsed Minister with CCVT or actively engaged in the Ministry Endorsement process.

To seek a marriage licence People in Ministry need to:

  • provide a letter from the church or agency seeking an application for your licence;
  • complete a Marriage Celebrant Training Seminar (run jointly with BUV. For dates and to register click here); and
  • complete a nomination form, which can be requested from CCVT by contacting the Leadership Team or calling 03 9488 8800.
  • Complete the Ministry Endorsement application form to commence the Ministry Endorsement process (if not already an Endorsed Minister with CCVT).

Conducting A Marriage

A Minister of Religion holding a marriage licence with Churches of Christ must conduct a marriage according to the Marriage Act 1961. Within the requirements of the Marriage Act 1961 a Minister of Religion holding a marriage licence with Churches of Christ Vic/TAs must conduct the marriage according to the rites of Churches of Christ. 

Marriage licences and the registering of marriages is administered through Births, Deaths and Marriages in either Victoria or Tasmania. Any queries regarding marriage documentation should be directed the Leadership team through or by calling 9488 8800 or to BDM in the relevant State. 

Marriage Act 1961

Guidelines To The Marriage Act

Marriage Rites of Churches of Christ in Australia