Due to COVID-19 all face-to-face services are currently suspended until further notice. Please contact Paul Moore if you would like to discuss any pastoral care needs.
Dismas is the traditional name of the repentant thief on the cross next to Jesus mentioned in Luke 23: 40-43.
The mission of Friends of Dismas is to assist motivated adults on parole, ex-prisoners, and their family and friends, to grow in Christian faith, to transition successfully into society, and to live a crime free life.
Our informal church services are a safe place where people can fully participate but know they are not judged. Through mutual support and accountability, we work towards there being ‘No More Victims’.
Our weekly format includes sharing a simple meal together, getting to know each other, communion, bible study, and prayer.
Friends of Dismas was co-founded in 2012 by staff and volunteers from Prison Fellowship Victoria, Churches of Christ In Victoria and Tasmania, and Baptist Union of Victoria. Significant consultation with Corrections Victoria and Victoria Police means Friends of Dismas can offer a gathering where ex-offenders can meet, share a meal and fellowship together without breaking laws. We thank these organisations for their role in getting this program up and running, and for directing people who are in need or isolated to us for support. We also thank Friends of Dismas Canada for permission to use the name, logo and Dismas Prayer.
Please note that participants must be over 18 years of age.
Our Core Values
- We welcome and celebrate one another, regardless of religious or criminal convictions, knowing that we are all “offenders”.
- We encourage everyone to give of themselves in some way – cooking meals, setting and cleaning up, sharing our truth or reaching out to others.
- We are committed to paying our way by sharing the costs of food and hall hire and contributing financially to the ministry of Friends of Dismas.
- In the circle everyone is given the opportunity to speak or to pass.
- We will treat each other’s story with confidentiality and love. Each story is sacred.
- We are committed to being a safe and responsible fellowship with accountability to the community where our meetings are held.
- We are committed to ministering to each other as if they were Christ.
- We continue to offer a safe and welcoming environment to ex-prisoners, their families and volunteers.
Melbourne Welsh Church
320 Latrobe St, Melbourne Vic 3000
Every Wednesday at 2pm
St Andrews Uniting Church
Corner of Sydney Ave and Sydney Pde, Geelong Vic 3220
Every Thursday at 1pm
Box Hill Baptist Church
3 Ellingworth Parade, Box Hill Vic 3128
Every Tuesday at 6.30pm
Phone: 0466 232 611
Phone: 0411 255 494
Friends of Dismas is made possible thanks to the generous support of volunteers, donations and the many people who pray faithfully for this valuable ministry.
To subscribe to our newsletter please email email@example.com
To support us financially, please complete this Supporter Form.