Tuesday, 19 December 2017
The Victorian Reportable Conduct Scheme comes into effect for Churches starting 1 January 2018.
The Scheme seeks to improve organisations’ responses to allegations of child abuse and neglect made against their workers and volunteers.
The Commission for Children & Young People (CCYP) is responsible for administering the scheme. Their role includes:
- supporting and guiding organisations that receive allegations in order to promote fair, effective, timely, and appropriate responses
- independently overseeing, monitoring and, where appropriate, making recommendations to improve the responses of those organisations
The Scheme has been designed to ensure that the CCYP will be aware of every allegation of certain types of employee misconduct involving children in relevant organisations that exercise care, supervision and authority over children.
For the purposes of the Scheme, the "head of organisation" within CCVT Affiliated Churches and Agencies is deemed to be the Chair of the Board or equivalent. If you need assistance in determining who is the head of your organisation, we recommend that you review your structure and governance, which may include seeking legal advice, contact the Commission for clarification and guidance, or call the CCVT Safe Places Coordinator on 0411 255 494.
To familiarise yourself and keep up to date with the Reportable Conduct Scheme, as well as the Victorian Child Safe Standards:
- Go to the CCYP website and read up on the Scheme including the many helpful Information Sheets and FAQ resources available for organisations
- Subscribe to the CCYP mailing list to get information and updates
- Familiarise yourself with the Victorian Child Safe Standards either on the CCYP website or through the training portal for faith communities website
- Attend a Safe Church Awareness Workshop
- Ensure that a Safety Officer, or equivalent, has been appointed at your church
- Ensure that the "head of organisation" is aware of their legal responsibilities under the Scheme
The CCVT is here to assist Affiliates with information and support. If you have an allegation made against any employee or volunteer, please call our office as soon as possible.
Download FAQ Document
Previous posts:March 2019(1)January 2019(2)December 2018(6)October 2018(2)September 2018(3)August 2018(3)July 2018(4)June 2018(0)May 2018(9)April 2018(14)February 2018(3)January 2018(1)December 2017(5)November 2017(1)October 2017(5)September 2017(2)August 2017(5)July 2017(7)June 2017(5)May 2017(9)April 2017(10)March 2017(6)February 2017(2)January 2017(1)December 2016(2)November 2016(8)October 2016(8)September 2016(4)August 2016(13)July 2016(7)June 2016(3)May 2016(8)April 2016(13)March 2016(7)February 2016(3)November 2015(1)